On New Music

So, now that the introductions are all out of the way and whatnot, time for some of the juicy content that I know all of my nonexistant readers so ravenously crave!

One thing I plan to do is, once a week every week, download, buy, or otherwise aquire a CD or two from a band, previously known or not, that I currently have no music from. I'll then listen to said CD, and over the course of a few days come up with a general review of the albums. I love music, I have a new iPod with lots of space, and I have a relatively small library of music at the moment (going from a puny 2g Nano to a shiny new 16g iTouch is quite the mindblowing change), so everything fits into place! Funfun!

-DISCLAIMER-
I am in no way a professional or otherwise important person (read: my opinion doesn't matter), and everything I'll be talking about is strictly my personal opinion. Feel free to hate me and tell me why I'm wrong, however! Just don't expect me to listen.

THIS WEEK, ON THE MUSICAL REVIEW....



Death Cab's a band I'd heard of previously, as a few of my friends listen to them and I've heard their song "Cath..." on the local radio station 104.1 WBCN a few times and liked it, so I figured they were as good a band as any to start. I aquired their two most "recent" albums, Narrow Stairs and Plans, a couple days ago so I think I've had enough time by now to analyze and reflect and all that fun stuff.

I almost always keep my iPod and iTunes on shuffle, 'cos I'd rather let my music be randomly chosen to keep things interesting, even within individual albums and bands along with the standard "shuffle" option. Keeping this in mind, the first six songs from between the two albums each had a mention of "love" or "heart" in them. Now this isn't a bad thing by itself, but it can create an almost sort of stale lyrical effect, in that almost every song is more or less about the same thing. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but I enjoy bands that are capable of exploring many different themes. This may also be biased, having only two of their albums to sample from.

Beyond this string of similar songs, there was just enough variety to keep my interest satieted, and overall came out feeling positive about the band. The smooth vocals of Ben Gibbard are easy to listen to, but I found that half the time I could have removed the vocals entirely and still enjoyed the music. The band is just that good instrumentally. The rather lengthy instrumental intro to "I Will Possess Your Heart" is absolutely awesome, and "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" is touching with it's story of one's devotion to another.

Overall, I rate Death Cab rather highly, and I definitely plan on looking into some of their other albums. Though many of their songs may be similar, they provide me with plenty to enjoy, though I certainly won't put them exclusively on shuffle unless I'm feeling overly sappy, sad, or romantic (which, now that I think about it, is quite often...).

I'll see you next week with another review of a band I have yet to choose! Weeeee!

0 comments:

Post a Comment